- September 10, 2009
- Posted by: Dave Kurlan
- Category: Understanding the Sales Force
With all of the articles written about sales and cold calls being dead (I usually write the counter arguments to that. How would you find new business if the only thing you could rely on was a lead?) it was a breath of fresh air when Michael Strickland, my guest on this week’s edition of Meet the Sales Experts, spoke about prospecting on steroids. His five tips for sales success in today’s economy are:
- Review your prospecting strategy – prospecting on steroids – redouble everyone’s efforts
- Have a signature communication – own a channel – communicate your value proposition
- Leverage technology – CRM – to identify and manage opportunities
- Have a web presence – make sure people can find you by Googling you
- Identify all of the weaknesses in the sales organization – fix them.
Michael, the former banker, turned banking consultant, turned sales consultant, turned Vistage chair also spoke about how executive teams and sales teams spend 97% of their time planning and only 3% of their time doing. He strongly suggested reversing those percentages.
“Action conquers fear. Make a strategic decision to grow.” That was his comment when asked about the fear that has paralyzed so many businesses, causing them to wait and see what happens, rather than do something about their slumping sales force and revenue.
(c) Copyright 2009 Dave Kurlan