- April 4, 2017
- Posted by: Dave Kurlan
- Category: Understanding the Sales Force
Over the years I’ve debunked a number of articles that cited nothing but junk science. The authors often relied on observation, anecdotal evidence and personal opinion while proclaiming traits, competencies, skills and differentiators between top salespeople and everyone else. Today those articles would qualify as fake news. My rebuttals to those articles, many of which can be found here, are always based on science.
Speaking of the difference between fake news and real sales science, the next topic downright amazes me and should amaze you too.
On April 4, 2017, Nearly 22,000 people had viewed the 5 traits of the best salespeople – traits that are purely anecdotal on the author’s part – while only around 6,000 had viewed the scientific rebuttal. 25,000 people had viewed the 21 Sales Core Competencies that were updated in 2014, but only 10,000 had viewed the 2017 revision of the 21 Sales Core Competencies. Just to be clear, I’m not whining about popularity, traffic or page views.
This is really about sales professionals who place more faith in the traits that are consistent with their beliefs, fearing that their actual capabilities won’t match up with the science. People want to see themselves in the most popular, positive way. They don’t want to discover that they might be lacking in 10 of the 21 Sales Core Competencies or have gaps in all 21.
Speaking of the 21 Sales Core Competencies, OMG has a brand new tool that I promise you’re gonna love.
We built a very cool website that you can use to see the average scores for each of the 21 Sales Core Competencies, the average scores for your industry and even how your own company compares. You must check it out – keep reading!
Here’s how it works:
- Go to the site and select your industry.
- For each of the 21 Sales Core Competencies, average scores for all salespeople, plus the top 10%, the bottom 10% as well as salespeople from your industry, will be displayed in side-by-side comparisons. If you need further explanations there are videos that provide more detail on each competency.
- At any point, during your tour through the 21 Sales Core Competencies, you can request that your own company be included in the comparison – free of charge! No catch. No conditions. Simply click on the “learn how your salespeople are doing” button displayed beneath the competencies.
- Fill in the very limited contact information (we don’t sell it and we won’t call you unless you ask us to) and we’ll email a link for your salespeople to be assessed.
- When your salespeople have completed the assessment process, the “Your Company” column in each graph will be populated with the data for your company. Awesome and easy! We’ll keep you posted about their progress.
- Options to gain access to additional detailed data and information will be made available.
The early feedback on this site has been amazing – people love being able to access this data and compare it to their own and I’m sure you’ll find it fascinating too! Enjoy.