What do you think is the most frequently requested plea for
Handling Stalls and Put-Offs?
It's getting calls returned.
Getting calls returned can be
fixed in about two minutes but why are you leaving messages?
Is that just easier than making repeated attempts until you get
The real problem is that most salespeople either don't get
through or when they do, one of two things happen:
1. They get an appointment for the wrong reason;
2. They don't get an appointment for the right reason.
What are the wrong reasons? In the area, free samples,
introduce yourself, demos and presentations, etc.
What are the right reasons? They told you about an issue that
your product or service can help with. Most salespeople
are simply awful at this. Several past
Baseline Selling tips dealt
with how to get through, get attention and get an appointment.
I'd like to help you better understand how to make Getting to
1st Base work in these challenging times by giving you 5
1. Get Introduced - use your network, clients, customers, and
online networks to make this happen. Ask!
2. Spend Time Developing Your Positioning Statement and
Examples - It's Exercise 5 in the
Baseline Selling Field Guide. It's a major part of
Getting to 1st Base in Baseline Selling. Those are the most
important words in your call.
3. Work on your tonality - how you sound in the first five
seconds of the call. You should sound just like your
prospect's best friend, not some professional salesperson.
4. Have Fun. It's a game. The person that wins is the
person who is most convincing. Do they convince you that
they don't need the help or do you convince them that you can
5. Practice until you can't stand it anymore. Practice
especially often on the stalls, put-offs and objections that are
most difficult for you.